domingo, junho 13, 2010

It’s nice to be appreciated :)


Ben Cohen é um dos melhores jogadores de rugby de Inglaterra. Nesta entrevista à revista Complete ele reconhece que a sua popularidade ultrapassa a sua performance desportiva. Esta tomada de consciência devia ser um exemplo a seguir e um modelo de tolerância a ser ensinado nos balneários.

COMPETE: It’s no secret that you count a large number of gay men among your fans … and you have sort of embraced that. Was there ever any hesitation about “courting” your gay fan base?
BEN: I embrace diversity more than just a gay fanbase. I think that everyone should be able to say, think and feel the way they want to as long as no one else is hurt. I don’t think we have the right to judge what is right and wrong. I am happy and content in my life and feel that everyone should have the opportunity of feeling that way and being true to themselves.

I have never really thought about whether I court a gay fanbase. I actually find it quite amazing that people are so interested in me in that way. I don’t see it myself. But it seems that my acceptance of those who like me makes a big difference to a lot of gay men. I have had numerous e-mails, mainly from young men who have been inspired by me in some way, and so have had the courage to come out to their friends and families and so live fulfilled lives. I have also been told that I have helped parents come around to the fact that their son is gay. I have no idea how I have managed to do that, I have to confess – but if my openness has done that then it seems that it is the right way to be.


COMPETE: What do you think of the term “gay icon”?
BEN: It is not something I associate with myself really. I can only go by the response I see from the Web and articles. It is flattering of course. It’s nice to be appreciated. Everyone likes that.

COMPETE: Let’s be honest – many of these fans no nothing of rugby or sports in general. They know you because of your calendars and notoriety as a sex symbol. Any problem with that?
BEN: Ha ha. Yes, I know. I see the comments on facebook and some make me blush. My friend and colleague Jill looks after that side of things for me so I don’t see too much, but she keeps me up to date with what is going on.

When I went to France to play my rugby profile dipped, as I wasn’t playing for England at that time, but we then realized that there was a whole group of people who were more interested in me as a man rather than my status as a rugby player. I still can’t get used to that because I am either a rugby player or a dad. That’s all. We do our best to keep everyone updated with what I am up to, and with facebook and twitter Jill can let everyone know what is happening on and off pitch almost instantly. It’s incredible.


COMPETE: I’ve been told before that – simply by the nature of the sport – rugby is much more tolerant and accepting of all people. Do you find this to be true?
BEN: I can’t say if it is more tolerant than other sports, although this is something that interests me. What I can say is that in my experience, there is no pressure one way or another for men to come out and say they are gay. We don’t really see it as a problem either way. You are more likely to get a hard time over dropping a catch or having a kick charged down than anything else. Rugby is pretty straight forward really and as far as I can see, there is a good deal of acceptance all round.

Sem comentários: